Thursday 23 September 2010

Bank Charges - an example of regulatory failing? Day 1

In March of this year, I sent an e-mail to Lord Turner, Chairman of the Financial Services Authority (FSA).  I sent copies to the Treasury Select Committee (TSC) at the House of Commons, to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and to the Justices at the Supreme Court.

An extract from that e-mail reads as follows:

" Attached to this e-mail you will find a pdf file, which contains an extract from the corrected report of your appearance before the Treasury Select Committee on the 25th of November last year. My notes will address, in detail, the comments and answers which you gave at that meeting, and will I believe call into question the current conventional view that this matter of "Bank Charges" is resolved.

Indeed, I believe my notes will reveal significant regulatory failings on the part of the Financial Services Authority. Thus my reason for addressing the principal e-mail, and subsequent notes, to you as Chairman.


The Office of Fair Trading will also have an interest, and given the attachment, so too, I believe, will members of the Treasury Select Committee, which I trust will explain my reasons for sending copies to them.


It may not be immediately apparent why I have also chosen to include a copy for the Supreme Court. I do indeed hope they may have a general interest in my notes, whilst I accept without question that they have reached their judgement."

***************

 
That was March, and I decided for a host of reasons, not least the changes due to the General Election in the UK, that I should delay taking the matter forward.  I was also asked by those who knew of my research to publish the evidence that formed my opinions in public, not restricted to those to whom the e-mail was sent.
 
This Blog is designed for that purpose - it is open for anyone who may have an interest to read and form their own conclusions.
 
So am I correct in my opinion that the manner in which the FSA, and the OFT, and the manner in which the Treasury Select Committe accepted the situation over the subject of Bank Charges is an example of regulatory failing? 
 
My opinion is based on the evidence I intend to present, and I believe that this subject of Bank Charges, and whether they were fair or unfair, may point to other similar examples where regulatory failings have cost the public dear.
 
Tomorrow, I will lead off with an extract from the evidence Lord Turner gave to the Treasury Select Committee in November 2009, and which I believe will prove to be of singular importance.
 
I am delaying posting that extract for one day - out of courtesy to Lord Turner, to whom I have today issued an e-mail informing him of this Blog being opened.  The original recipients of my March e-mail have been similarly informed.

No comments :

Post a Comment